Cold vegetable soup pureed with a roasted beet for a new flavor to a classic dish. Or don't blend it and keep it chunky!
Beet & Tomato Gazpacho
- 2 slices red or white onion
- 1 large beet (about 6 ounces), roasted
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 2 sticks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, plus a little extra for the onion
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 to 1 cup ice water
- For garnish:
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- Slivered fresh mint leaves
Put the onion slices in a bowl, cover with cold water and add a few drops of vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Drain and rinse with cold water. Cut in half or into smaller pieces. Working in two batches, blend all of the ingredients except the garnishes in a blender for 2 minutes or longer, until smooth and frothy. Transfer to a bowl or container (a metal bowl is the most efficient for chilling), thin out with more water if desired, and chill for at least 2 hours before eating. Garnish each bowl or glass with diced cucumber and slivered fresh mint leaves.